Not the most glamorous of pictures…looks like a volcanic eruption. The insides did ooze out from the centre during baking, which was weird.
Maybe not as weird as putting mayonnaise in a cake.
Yes I did it, at the horror of F. The cake is incredibly soft and spongy, even after being in the fridge.
Though F said there’s some weird smell to it -.- My nose, and the noses of S and T couldn’t detect anything. So ignore F 😛
Mayo is really just eggs, oil and vinegar.
Here’s the recipe… tweaked it from Serious Eats.
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 sour cream (just cuz I had some to finish, otherwisw just use mayo)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cups cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups hot water
1. Preheat your oven to 175°C. Grease a 13″ by 9″ baking dish.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until thick and very light in colour; about 5 min.
3. Add the mayonnaise and vanilla, and beat until combined.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt, and beat until combined.
5. Add the water and mix until it’s incorporated. The batter will be much thinner. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes (mine took a looong time, about 50min), or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
It is edible OK. It tastes nice Alhamdulillah.